What we will cover here:
- In this HVAC cleaning guide, we share the answers to the most common FAQs about air duct cleaning and HVAC maintenance, such as how often you need them.
- You need HVAC cleaning every six months. Our professionals check the condition of your home’s air ducts as part of preventative maintenance.
- Expert air duct cleaning can help improve indoor air quality, reduce allergies, and prevent mold growth.
One of the main features of heating, ventilation, and air conditioning systems is air ducts that transfer hot or cool air to every room. To keep HVAC systems working correctly, periodic air duct cleaning is a must. Here’s everything you need to know.
Why Do Air Ducts Need Cleaning?
The HVAC system pulls in outside air to help cool your home. Unsurprisingly, this air can also bring dirt particles, dust, bugs, allergens, and other debris inside the home. Sometimes, even vermin manage to get inside. Return ducts often hide pet dander and other things you wish you could vacuum up. Over time, contaminants build up and affect the home’s air quality.
Things are more urgent if your home has moisture problems. Dirt, dead bugs, and rodent droppings encourage mold growth. Professional air duct cleaning can help you prevent mold spores from traveling to other parts of the home.
What Can Happen Without Air Duct Cleaning?
Every home and family is unique. Some people don’t notice problems until air ducts get really dirty. On the other hand, if you’re allergic to pet dander, pollen, or dust, not cleaning air ducts can cause a lot of problems. Even though you vacuum every day and clean bedding carefully, dirty air vents can hide allergens.
Also, dead skin cells, bugs, and rodent droppings can be a breeding ground for harmful microorganisms. It’s possible for these pathogens to spread through air ducts, landing on toys, carpeting, tables, and other surfaces. If you want your home to be as clean as possible, you can’t forget about HVAC cleaning.
What Are the Benefits of Air Duct Cleaning for Indianapolis Homes?
The main goal of professional HVAC cleaning and air duct cleaning is to provide the best indoor environment possible. This provides many benefits:
- Better indoor air quality: The science is pretty simple — clean air ducts mean fewer contaminants in the air, including mold spores, bacteria, allergens, chemicals, and dust mites. As an added benefit, the home smells fresher without these freeloaders.
- Improved peace of mind: Knowing your ducts are spotless also helps you relax. Your baby can crawl around on the carpet, safe and sound. Of course, HVAC system cleaning is just one part of a clean environment. Steam carpet cleaning with green, non-toxic chemicals also helps to eliminate viruses, bacteria, and dirt.
- Fewer allergy problems: Have you tried everything to calm your allergies, but nothing seems to work? The problem may be dirty air ducts. Removing all that dander and pollen from ducts may be the key to helping you breathe comfortably.
- Easier indoor cleaning: When air ducts get really dirty, keeping your home clean is more difficult. It’s frustrating to clean your kitchen table and discover a new layer of dust just a day later.
- Better HVAC system performance: At Steamatic of North Indianapolis, our HVAC cleaning includes more than air ducts. It also gets rid of built-up dirt and grime on system components such as blower fans, evaporator coils, heat exchangers, and drains. This helps your HVAC system last longer and work better all year long.
- Lower energy bills: Another benefit of keeping your HVAC unit shiny is that it saves you money. Dirty air ducts, filters, and components make your AC system need extra electricity to cool the home. HVAC cleaning contributes to smooth operation and lowers electricity bills.
The dirtier your home’s air ducts, the more you notice the difference after having them cleaned. From the wonderful smell of a freshly cleaned home to the great feeling of finally being allergy-free, the benefits can be incredible.
How Often Should You Schedule HVAC Cleaning?
When it comes to air duct cleaning, each home has different air-quality issues, making it tricky to offer specific recommendations. Some Indianapolis homes are near industrial areas where lots of smoke particles, dust, and toxins make their way indoors. This can increase the buildup of dirt in your air ducts.
If you’ve recently gone through a home renovation, we recommend scheduling professional duct cleaning immediately. Remodeling projects always spread tons of dust and debris into air ducts.
HVAC system cleaning is a smart idea in Indianapolis because of the hot and humid summer weather and freezing winters. Call us every six months for preventative HVAC maintenance. The last thing you want is for your unit to break down in the middle of extreme temperatures. Also, removing dirt and dust from system components is critical for keeping them in excellent condition.
What Are the Signs It’s Time for Air Duct Cleaning?
One of the best ways to tell it’s time to schedule air duct cleaning is to look for the warning signs of dirty ducts:
- Thick layers of fuzzy dust on the inside of vent covers or air registers
- Frequent dust on furniture even though you clean the home regularly
- Unexplained allergies that don’t go away even after vacuuming
- Noises that make you think rodents may be living in the ducts
- Heating or cooling costs are strangely increasing
- HVAC air filter that gets really dirty every 30 days
- Mold discovered inside the air conditioner or furnace
Some of these things can be signs of other HVAC problems as well, such as spiking energy costs, so it’s smart to call an HVAC professional anyway. Our team can give everything a once-over, leaving the system clean and checking your air ducts for signs of mold or critters.
How Does Air Duct Cleaning Work?
Professional air duct cleaning uses special brushes, cameras, and industrial vacuum systems to leave your home’s ducts completely clean. These flexible rotating brushes loosen dirt, dust, dander, and debris from every part of ducts, including the nooks and crannies. Afterward, the high-power vacuum systems suck all of these contaminants back into our truck.
HVAC experts also take the time to clean important components of your HVAC unit, such as the blower fan, at the same time. Otherwise, all that hard work is for nothing. Our team checks the condition of your ducts before and after to make sure they’re mold-free and spotless.
Why Do You Need To Hire HVAC Professionals for Air Duct Cleaning?
Always call certified HVAC experts for this service. Some copycat companies offer “duct cleaning” services for really cheap, but they usually do more harm than good. Did you know that many of these companies actually blow all the dust out of your ducts as a way of supposedly cleaning them? You don’t want those contaminants in your house!
At Steamatic of North Indianapolis, our HVAC technicians are fully certified, trained, and insured. We’re also members of the trusted Indoor Air Quality Association (IAQA) and the National Air Duct Cleaners Association (NADCA). If you think your air ducts may need cleaning, contact us right away for 24/7 assistance.
Image credits: Serenethos / Shutterstock